When the weather is hot, humid, and just plain stifling, homeowners rely on their air conditioners for relief and comfort. Most of the time, no one gives a second thought about their air conditioning system until it’s obvious that the unit is not doing an effective job at cooling. If you notice any of the following signs in your air conditioner, it’s probably time to start looking into AC repair or upgrading your system to a newer model.
As a mechanical system, some noises are to be expected from an air conditioner, such as the humming of the motor and fan. However, the development of new or strange sounds like the following can indicate a problem:
- Grinding, which indicates a problem with the fan, fan belt, or motor
- Squealing, which is a sign of a worn out belt
- Clinking or banging, which indicates a possible bent fan blade, loose connection, or piece of debris stuck within the system
A properly functioning air conditioner shouldn’t produce any smells. Any of these odors indicates a problem:
- A musty odor indicates standing water in the unit or a clogged drain line
- Coolant leaks may cause a musty odor
- Foul smells suggest a dirty air filter
Poor performance from an air conditioning unit is a clear indicator of a system problem. Signs of this include:
- The unit does not cool. It could be low on coolant, which is the lifeblood of the system.
- Poor airflow. The system filter may need replacement or the air handler may need repair.
- The system cycles frequently or endlessly. There could be corrosion or a problem with the wiring or thermostat.
Problems? We Can Help
Our HVAC technicians at Northern’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offer air conditioner maintenance so that most system problems can be prevented in the first place. Not only does this save you time and money, but it preserves your comfort as well.
Call our Minneapolis air conditioner company today at 763-412-1197 for prompt, accurate, and affordable service.