Your home’s hot water heater or boiler system is an infinitely useful setup. With hot water, you can run appliances, bathe, wash the dishes, and some even heat their entire home using a boiler system. When the setup fails, however, and you’re without hot water, it can feel like nothing in the home is working.
Messing about with a boiler is not a DIY repair job, though. If you know the hot water system isn’t working, call a professional for immediate repairs.
How Should You Maintain Your Hot Water Heater
- Shut Off the Heat — Before you perform any maintenance on the hot water heater system, it’s important to shut off the system at least 30 minutes in advance.
- Check for Leaks — Using a little dish soap and warm water, apply the mixture to the joints and pipes and check for bubbles. If you spot bubbles, you’ve got a leak.
- Clean Buildup — Your hot water heater is likely to accumulate sediment, soot or rust inside of the tank. It’s imperative to occasionally drain the tank and clean out any buildup.
What to Check If the Hot Water Heater Isn’t Working
If your hot water heater isn’t working as intended, there are a few common problems to check for first. These include leaks, a lack of hot water and even something simple, like low water pressure.
- Water Pressure — If your old home has ½-inch diameter galvanized pipes, you’ll wind up dealing with low water pressure before long. You need ¾-inch piping for better flow.
- Lack of Hot Water — A distinct lack of hot water is generally caused by an issue with the thermostat. You may need to adjust the temperature. If there is no hot water whatsoever, is may be the heating element has failed.
- Water Leaks — A water heater is susceptible to leaks from the top and bottom of the system. A leak near the top is likely the cold inlet or hot outlet pipe, T&P valve, or inlet valve. At the bottom, it’s likely a leaking electric heating element gasket or T&P valve.
How to Avoid a Hot Water Heater Malfunction
The key way to avoid a hot water heater malfunction is by scheduling routine water heater maintenance with a trusted source. During a maintenance appointment, an experienced technician will come to your home, examine and clean the system, and make prompt repairs on any minor issues they discover.
Here at Northern’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning, we have a comprehensive hot water heater maintenance check. We’ll run through the entire checklist with you to ensure you avoid a water heater replacement well before it’s time.
For top-rated water heater services in St. Louis Park, please call 763-412-1368!