Although conducting routine air conditioning maintenance might seem like a huge hassle, the chore can save you plenty of money in the long run. Most household utility bills are predominantly made up of heating and air conditioning expenses, but by properly caring for your air conditioner and performing regular checks on the system, you might be able to avoid pricey repairs and replacements down the road.
Here are the most important ways to care for your air conditioning system so that you don’t end up shelling out the big bucks to repair companies later on.
- Remove debris from around your AC unit. When tree branches, trash, grass, leaves, and other objects obscure the exterior of your outdoor unit, it can cause serious problems in the future.
- Clean the fins of your unit. You can use a vacuum, rags, and hose to do so. By removing grime and dirty from the fins, you’ll ensure that the unit is able to function properly.
- Make sure your AC unit is sitting on a flat surface. Weather and other factors can cause your property to shift, and if the AC unit isn’t on a level part of the ground, it can start experiencing problems sooner than it usually would.
- Clean your home’s evaporator drain. This is the part of the evaporator coil that allows excess water from the air’s humidity to drain out of the house. If algae, mold, and other nasty substances build up in there, you could be facing health hazards.
- Switch out your blower filter. This should be done at least twice a year if you want to breathe fresh, safe air inside your home. Plus, clogged filters can hinder the airflow of your home, which causes your AC unit to work overtime in an effort to keep things cool.
Although you can attempt to perform regular maintenance on your air conditioning system without the help of a professional, you might miss things that a trained expert would point out. Therefore, if you really want to keep your AC in shape, call a trustworthy company like Northern’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning. Their educated, reliable employees will conduct an air conditioning check up and ensure that everything is in tip-top shape. To schedule an inspection or learn more, call Northern’s at 763-412-1197 today.